Junior Siam 2017


Siam -20172

JUNIOR SIAM 2017 RESULTS - Saturday 29th April 

(U7-U11 = number of tries)

U7 GUERNSEY 143 - 131 Jersey
U8 JERSEY 8 - 2 Guernsey

U9 GUERNSEY 1 - 1 Jersey

(Guernsey win 12-8 on try difference)

Jersey Reds1 - 4, Guernsey1 - 10
Jersey Reds2 - 4, Guernsey2 - 2

The final score of the U9's competition was 1-1, honours even, however Guernsey retain the trophy they regained in 2016.

Jersey Reds1 started well and kept pace and intensity with their opponents and were narrowly trailing 4-2 at halftime. However Guernsey's strength in the centre prevented Reds1 direct approach of attack and resulted in a several turnovers for the visitors. Conversely Guernsey's strong and straight running allied with support play and willingness to offload the ball breached Reds1 defence numerous times in the second half allowing them to run up a 10-4 victory in what was an fairly open and free running game.

Jersey Reds2 faired better with a very resolute defence gaining numerous 7-tackle turnovers and the associated possession. The lower scoring reflected both team's commitment to tackling with Reds2 edging the scoring to win a determined game 4-2.

The overall 1-1 draw was well deserved with both teams and supporters alike espousing the Spirit of Rugby; Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline and Sportsmanship. Congratulations to all and here's to next year's festival! 

U10 JERSEY 11 - 4 Guernsey

The U10’s game started with the intensity that was to be seen throughout the whole 30 minutes.  Jersey scored first much to the delight of the home crowd, soon to be matched by our visitors.  It was so nice to see two girls in the Jersey squad and one in the Guernsey squad giving the boys a run for their money and tackling with true determination and passion.  Jersey seemed to keep applying to pressure and it was a pleasure to watch their style of play and teamwork improve as the minutes ticked by.  Captained by Lance Armstrong all the team played their part and it seemed that our team of 13 was indeed lucky for us.  During the second half the tries seemed to be coming thick and fast with the crowd support getting louder each time.  It was a fantastic game to watch with tackles coming one after another, they were strong in the ruck and wont the ball back many times.  The pace was fast with some excellent ball handling across the pitch setting up for more tries.  The game ended 11 – 4 to Jersey. 

Tries: Finley Thomson (3), Lance Armstrong (3), Connor O’Keefe (2), Josh Douglas, Harrison Butler, Rory Claxton  

U11 JERSEY 5 - 1 Guernsey

Magnificent as a team in defence the boys held strong against a persistent Guernsey side that never gave up. Physically Guernsey were  a match for Jersey however the tackling and ripping of the ball in tackles by the Jersey team was phenomenal leading to a high number of turnovers. Both sides competed hard at the breakdown but Jersey were to come out dominant based on their ability to move from defence into attack at speed.
The passing at times was sublime as the Jersey team moved the ball wide through many pairs of hands resulting in strong running and a number of scores out wide. 
Overall the desire and commitment, support play and passing coupled with a strong team ethic allowed Jersey to run out winners by 5 tries to 1.
Tries: Owen Graham (2); Will Hodgson; Callum Cuthbert (2)

(U12-U13 & Girls U15 = 5 points for a try, no conversions)

U12 JERSEY 40 - 10 Guernsey

Following a recent trip to Guernsey when they were beaten by their hosts, the U12s really stepped up to the occasion at the Junior Siam Cup. After a slow start, dogged by handling errors, the fragmented Jersey slowly gained composure but were lucky to finish the first half 3-2 up, after Guernsey failed to capitalise on a couple of clear opportunities. Like the old football cliché, it proved to be a game of two halves and Jersey were totally dominant in the second half. First half nerves had dissipated, the forwards were consistently winning the ball at the breakdown and feeding it out to the backs who ran rampant with Jersey scoring 5 answered tries. A brave but tired Guernsey fought to the end but with a magnificent second half team performance Jersey deserved to retain the Siam cup, the final score 40-10
Tries: Samuel Pinel (4), Sam Harvey (2), Ethan Beldon, Joseph Dagilan


U13 JERSEY 20 - 10 Guernsey

The final game of the season for the current crop of under 13’s was against our old foes Guernsey. Coming off the back of three impressive victories the Jersey boys were confident but also well drilled in anticipation of a big Guernsey side. As usual Guernsey did not disappoint and their pack were as big as any of the teams they have faced this year. Even the sight of the Guernsey second row with a full beard did not deter the resolution of boys.

The first half went according to the Jersey game plan, quick ruck ball and out to the speedy wingers Jordan Black and Brandon Guillemot. They stretched the Guernsey boys and a fine break by fly half George Daniels cut a large hole in the Guernsey defence and he went all the way to score a fine try. The front row were having a great time with Max “ Disco Pants” Tennant, James Cushing and Olly Pearce crashing into the Guernsey defence and making metres of ground. One such run by Cushing resulted in a quick off load that went out through the backs and he found himself back with the ball to round off a great team move with a wonderful try.

When Guernsey resorted to the kicking game, full back Noah Carey caught everything and then ran back at the Guernsey line. One such move saw him in acres of space for a great touch down. Guernsey failed to learn and another long kick saw Carey collect the ball and offload to centres Cole Graham and Dylan Stocks. A quick exchange of passes with Nº 8 Josh Stockwell saw Carey bursting through on the outside to score and put Jersey up 20 points to nil with half time fast approaching.
The great defensive work by the Jersey boys meant that Guernsey had barely got into the red half. Instrumental in defence was second row duo Jack Burns and captain Mac Galvin who were both at the heart of every tackle and turnover.Just before half time Jersey lost centre Graham with a knee injury and were grateful for the whistle to go in order to make a number of changes.
Guernsey came out for the second half with a roasting from their coaches and and what looked like a few more beards. Within a few minutes Jersey lost prop Tennant with a thumb injury and with the half time changes the side started to lose it’s shape in attack. In defence they were magnificent stopping every run that Guernsey made.
The two smallest players on the pitch replacement scrum half James Cannard and winger Anushun Elanco repeatedly halted the Guernsey players in their tracks. Full back Carey came off worse in a tackle and had to depart the field. Scrum half Harvey Bracken-Smith in his final game for Jersey came back on to plug the gap. With players in new positions gaps started to appear and Guernsey forced themselves over for a well deserved try.
Second row Charlie Courtness was now playing prop with Oscar Robinson in the centre and PJ Dodge was flying round trying to cover the whole pitch.The second half flew by and the 25 minutes felt more like 20, with the final move of the match Guernsey scored their second try. It was a very relieved Jersey team that celebrated the final whistle.
A second game saw a Jersey development side play the Guernsey squad in an entertaining game of two halves. Guernsey dominated the first half and despite courageous tackling were 4 tries up.
However the second half saw a comeback that got the supporters onto their feet. Jersey led by full back Yannic Hanby moved the ball to the space on the wings and soon Jakob Stanton scored two cracking tries. A further two tries were scored by Anushun Elanco and Joe Cabral and just when it looked like Jersey were going to score an unlikely winner Guernsey stole the ball and went over in the corner to seal the victory.
All the Jersey players involved in both matches played some entertaining and at times exhilarating rugby.The coaches and the manager are now looking forward to well earned rest in preparation for next season.

U14 JERSEY 52 - 5 Guernsey

Junior Siam 2017 Match Report - U14sFirstly we would like to thank Guernsey for travelling to Jersey and Steve Evans, the U-14 coach for agreeing for Jersey to field all our available players, which certainly made selection a lot simpler. We were both in agreement that the day was about playing rugby.
Jersey starting with a strong selection decided to play uphill into the wind in the first half with Guernsey kicking off. With the Jersey boys fired up for the fixture, the ball was secured on the left and sent wide to the Sean Adkin on the right wing. With 25m to the line Sean outran his winger before touching down under the posts with 1 minute played, converted by David Quinn 7-0.
From the restart Jersey pushed up through the middle with good tackles being made by Guernsey to within 10m of the Green’s line. A gap opened up and Jersey captain Ben Purkiss shimmied his way through to score in the corner. The conversion from out wide split the uprights by David Quinn 14-0.

The restart kick-off was taken by Danny Alves who was quickly up to full speed and like a battering ram broke several tackles to score under the posts, again David Quinn added the extras; 21-0 after 6 minutes.
With a healthy lead Jersey started making changes, the boys continued to pass and ruck well with very impressive support running. The game was not as one-sided as the score might suggest and Guernsey were also playing very good rugby, forcing Jersey to keep a disciplined defensive line with solid tackling.After 13 minutes played the ball came out of a ruck to be given to Lennon Lopez-Rubio, who, without a lot of space, hit his nitrous button and burnt up the 40m to the line touching down in the corner. The difficult conversion was slotted this time by Harry Walton 28-0.
Although Guernsey were getting more and more into the game and putting pressure on Jersey, the home team stuck to their game plan which produced a further two tries - David Quinn picking up and going through a gap from 10m and John Brocken diving over in the corner following great support play. Both tries were unconverted and the HT score was 38-0.
Guernsey built on their earlier good play and continued to link well, putting pressure on Jersey and eventually touching down in the corner after 5 minutes of the second half: 38-5.
Guernsey, with their heads up, were forcing Jersey to defend their line. It took another 5 minutes before Jersey got back in control of the game with a strong run by Lawrence Bouchard splitting the defence to score Jersey’s first try of the second half; this was converted by Henry Dawson, 45-5.
Shortly afterwards Henry Dawson was over for a try of his own, which he also successfully converted 52-5.
The final 10 minutes of the game saw Guernsey continuing to improve and never giving up, Jersey continuing to make changes until the final whistle.The strong Jersey performance made all the coaching staff very happy, with the Jersey boys showcasing the skills they have developed this season: solid tackling and defence, rucking, running, passing, support play, hitting space and playing as a team. It was a joy to watch with many smiles on faces.
Team – Alfie Atterbury, A.J. McGinty, Patrick Da Silva, Dan Worley, Will Michel, Sebastian Lilley, Oliver Cawley, Danny Alves, David Quinn, Ben Purkiss, Lennon Lopez-Rubio, Toby Clark, Henry Dawson, Sean Adkin, Elliott Christie, Tyler Williams, Daniel Wycherley, Tom Baker, Angus Griffin, Harry Walton, Lawrence Bouchard, Benjamin Voak, Davy Savery, Jake Savery & Ryan Woodward.

U15 JERSEY 70 - 0 Guernsey
U15 Girls JERSEY 25 - 10 Guernsey
Colts JERSEY 20 - 5 Guernsey


Email Newsletter

Enter your email address below to receive our email newsletter.

Photo Gallery
Go to the Gallery
Events Calendar

Check out the Academy calendar to see what events are coming up.